** Section Meet at Hyland Park (10145 Bush Lake Rd, Bloomington, MN) **
Section 1 Meet, Tuesday February 6th, 2017 -
Race time forecast: 10-15 degrees, mostly cloudy.
SUNDAY NIGHT'S SLEEP IS VERY IMPORTANT. YOUR ASSIGNMENT IS TO GET TO BED SATURDAY BEFORE MIDNIGHT AND GET UP SUNDAY MORNING BY 7:30 AM SO YOU ARE READY FOR BED SUNDAY NIGHT BY 9:30-10. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SUNDAY MORNING FOR SCHOOLWORK SO YOU DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT SCHOOLWORK WHILE YOU ARE OUT OF SCHOOL.
Remember: Positive attitude, focused thoughts on how you want to perform, and teamwork are the biggest aspects of preparing for the Section and State Meet. Now is the best time to start!
Section Meet rule review
Section Start Lists: Girls, Boys
Athletes: pack your bag on Sunday night. Look over this list to make sure you have everything. Please bring $20 to help cover the cost of the hotel. The high school will be covering the cost for the Coach bus for both days!
Drink belt, water bottle
Multiple layering shirts
Multiple pairs of socks (probably 5+ pair)
Skate ski boots, poles and skis
Classic ski boots, poles and skis
Music (headphones) device
Athletes must have their name on their stuff!!
Tentative time schedule:
Athletes load coach bus at 3:30 PM, bus departs HS at 3:45 PM. Please take this time to focus on the race.
Arrive at Hyland to ski the race course with race starts and technical work. (about 1 hour of skiing). Be ready to ski when we arrive at Hyland.
7:30 PM, head to Holiday Inn Express to do a quick unload and change before dinner at Olive Garden at 8:00 PM(bring money for dinner).
Back to the hotel and in bed by 10:30 PM.
Tuesday: Race Day
7:00 AM wake up and go for a 10 minute jog. Eat Breakfast, load bus by 8:30 AM.
Coaches' meeting at 9:30 AM
Girls check kick wax on classic skis at 9:30, start warm-up at 9:40, at start line at 10:15am for placing skis and pole runs
GIRLS classic race at 10:30 AM (interval start, 1 skier every 30 sec)
Boys check kick wax on classic skis at 10:30, start warm-up at 10:40, at start line at 11:15am for placing skis and pole runs
BOYS classic race at 11:30 AM (interval start, 1 skier every 30 sec)
Dry shirts, socks and hat
*Cool-down, *dynamic stretches
Hydration and lunch, you must eat and drink something significant 90-100 minutes before next race. Chill on bus and stay warm.
Girls check glide wax at 1:15, start warm-up at 1:20pm, at start line at 1:45pm for placing skis and pole runs
GIRLS skate race at 2:00 PM (pursuit start)
Boys check glide wax at 2:15, start warm-up at 2:20pm, at start line at 2:45pm for placing skis and pole runs
BOYS skate race at 3:00 PM (pursuit start)
Dry shirts, socks and hat
**Cool-down, **dynamic stretches
Hydration and snacks
Stop for supper, probably in the metro...a sit down meal...(have money with you)
What to expect for Sections week:
Invited on the bus:
Key items for one day pursuit:
1) Very important to have a good warm up before first and 2nd race. The warm up before the first race should be slightly longer- standard warm up 20 min of NON-stop L1 skiing. followed by a series of L3, L4, and L4 intervals (here's a guideline). 2 x 2 min L3 (2 min recov), then 2 x 45 sec at L4, then 3 x 30 sec L5(All out sprint). The Second Warm up is very important! can be slightly shorter, but make sure you are sweating at the start of second race.
2) Cool down after first race is VERY important. Get a sport drink, and warm up jacket/pants, and go ski easy 15 min. Add 5 x 5/55's. that is a 5 second sprint every 55 seconds. Standard US ski team cool down. Doesn't matter what happened in the first race, you are on to the next race.
3) Eat within 30 min of finishing first race. Complex Carb and protein. (important to have a "real" meal (sandwich with PB, or meat/cheese if you can eat fairly quickly) not just a sugar/carb like a sweet granola bar of muffin).
4) Stay hydrated. And after cool down and food, get of your feet in a warm place. Best not to spend your time outside. Focus on your next race, stay away from distractions.
5) Final cool down - 20 min easy skiing. can add 5/55's.